Friday, May 22, 2015

On a personal note....

Via the Facebook page of the Miss Minnesota Scholarship pageant (emphasis mine):

The Miss Minnesota Scholarship Pageant is thrilled to announce our preliminary and final night Emcees for Miss Minnesota this year:

Wednesday, June 10: Megan Torgerson Vitko, Miss Minnesota 2003 and Elizabeth Hunter Ashley, our 30 year anniversary Miss Minnesota 1985!

Thursday, June 11: Brooke Kelly Kilgarriff, Miss Minnesota 2009 and Elizabeth Hunter Ashley, Miss Minnesota 1985

Saturday, June 13: We welcome Mr. Brad Carlson, Radio Show Host, AM 1280 the Patriot!

The excitement is beginning to build!!!

When I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls with an Accounting/Finance degree 23 years ago, I totally saw myself venturing into a part-time radio gig which would lead to an opportunity to emcee a glitzy and glamorous beauty pageant. Don't all accountants aspire to such a thing?

In all seriousness, it is truly an honor to even be considered for such an endeavor. The Miss America Organization (and all state affiliates) do a wonderful service in allowing young ladies an opportunity to selflessly serve their respective communities. For all the complaining mine and other generations partake in regarding millennials, we get to see firsthand young ladies who are driven to succeed and are rewarded on the merits of hard work (and yes, it doesn't hurt that they're easy on the eyes).

While I don't anticipate I will become Minnesota's version of Bert Parks (I can't sing worth a damn anyhow), I am told this could become a regular gig for me! Now if I can just come up with a few jokes......

------------------------------------------

No comments: