Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Paying tribute by rioting.

I really don't have anything unique to add regarding the rioting in Baltimore in response to the death of 25-year old Freddie Gray. Yes, Gray's death while in custody of the Baltimore police reeks to the moon and back. And if indeed there was impropriety on the part of law enforcement, let's hope that (for once) justice is served.

As usual, my friend and Northern Alliance Radio Network Mitch Berg sums it perfectly when responding to the shrieks of "Yes rioting and looting and violence is wrong but ZOMG MILITARIZATION OF POLICE!!!!!!!"

Real life has a way of turning weirder than my imagination. If I'd written a chapter as absurd as what's happening in Baltimore right now into my upcoming e-book, Trulbert: a Comic Novella About The End Of The World As We Know It, I'd have cut it. Too unbelievable.

Speaking of which? If you're one of those people who's spent the past 3-7 years jabbering about the importance of rock-solid "principles", including the ephemeral "Non-Aggression Principle", but are cheering what's going on in Baltimore right now, then I'm not sure how to tell you, but your "principles" are about as deep and self-indulgent as your train of thought.

I get it. Our criminal justice system is a mess. The police have become disconnected from the communities they "serve" (as have the prosecutors and courts). And I'll put my beef with the cops up against yours.

But you don't have to be a cop fanboy to know that if you're cheering the destruction of private property, people getting beaten (most likely) to death, and the political class wrapping crime and thuggery in the First Amendment, I'm sorry; I'm inclined to think you're an idiot, and I hope that someday you'll be the one facing down a mob of looters.

But I mean that with all due respect.

One final thought: Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake inviting Al Sharpton to town to plea for "peace in our city" probably isn't the most expeditious way to quell a race riot. Just sayin'....

-----------------------------------------

No comments: