Wednesday, December 26, 2007

History will go on without me.

After the New England Patriots moved to 15-0 on Sunday with a 28-7 win over the Miami Dolphins, I was sitting in my living room all smug. Not because I’m a Patriots fan, mind you. You see, I’m among a minority of NFL fans who has the NFL Network. That is the channel where this Saturdays’ Patriots-Giants contest will be broadcast exclusively. The Pats will, in all likelihood, become the first team to go 16-0 since the regular season expanded to 16 games in 1978.

As I started to call some friends and relatives to taunt them with the fact that I will have a chance to witness NFL history live, I suddenly recalled what I have planned on the 29th. I got tickets to see comedian (and Twin Cities native) Louie Anderson at Northrop Auditorium. This was a Christmas gift I purchased for my brother over a month ago so it wasn’t in the forefront of my mind.

Oh well. I guess the Pats will have to go 16-0 without me.


UPDATE: Well, so much for the exclusivity. The NFL caves in and will broadcast on CBS and NBC.

-----------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to be bad news for the NFL Channel. Once the entire nation gets to hear the announcing team of Bryant "Kermit" Gumbel and Cris Collingsworth they'll realize they're not missing anything.

I've had the NFL Channel as part of my satellite package for two years. The live games are pretty sorry from a production standpoint. I do like the "NFL Replay" games on weeknights where they take the best games from the previous weekend and run them without the huddles and timeouts between plays - you get an entire game in less than an hour and a half!

Brad Carlson said...

I do like the "NFL Replay" games on weeknights where they take the best games from the previous weekend and run them without the huddles and timeouts between plays.

That's one of the main reasons I got the NFL Network!!

And I agree, Bryant Gumbel is hideous as a play-by-play guy. I think he could gain valuable tips from older brother Greg. But since Bryant is such an egomaniac, I doubt he would be open to any sage advice.