Sunday, April 08, 2007

Zach Johnson wins 2007 Masters.

While my prediction of Tiger Woods to win the 2007 Masters didn’t pan out, I can’t say I’m bitterly disappointed. The young man who ended up winning showed the kind of grace and humility I wish more pro athletes possessed. 31-year old Zach Johnson emerged victorious, winning his first major PGA event.

The CBS-TV commentators remarked how Johnson, a Cedar Rapids, IA native, showed steely-eyed poise and determination down the stretch despite 4-time Masters champ Tiger Woods lurking within a shot or two of the lead. I always noticed most guys getting the old “pucker factor” kicking in when Tiger has a chance to pounce. But not Johnson. Not on this weekend anyways.

In a very poignant moment upon completing his round Sunday, Johnson embraced his wife Kim and 3-month old baby boy, Will.

When it was officially Johnson’s championship, he made the customary walk to Butler Cabin at Augusta National to receive the prestigious green jacket. During the post-tourney interview, Johnson was asked how he kept it together in spite of the pressure he undoubtedly felt. On this Easter Sunday, he acknowledged his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.


"My faith is very important to me," he said. "I had people looking after me. It was awesome."


How can one not be happy for a guy like that?

-------------------------------------------------------

No comments: