Thursday, August 11, 2022

None of the above

Outside of individual candidates I support for elected office, there is only one political venue where I donate money regularly --- The MN Gun Owners Caucus. Not only is the organization's leadership incredibly knowledgeable and transparent, they don't make decisions based on whether or not they'll be popular with the majority of their members. They make decisions solely on what they deem the best possible course to advance 2nd Amendment rights. 

As such, MNGOC leadership conveyed why their Political Action Committee is not endorsing a candidate for MN governor this year. 

“We endorsed then-candidate Scott Jensen for Minnesota Senate in 2016, ” said Bryan Strawser, Chairman, MN Gun Owners Caucus. “He later betrayed his endorsement pledge by co-sponsoring two gun control bills.”

“While Governor Tim Walz has voiced nothing but disdain for the Second Amendment rights of Minnesotans, our organization must stand by our commitment to our members that Dr. Jensen would not be eligible for future endorsement by our organization, ” added Strawser.

As a Senator, Scott Jensen never voted for a gun control bill. He has voiced nothing but support for the 2nd Amendment in his campaign for Governor. At the June 2022 MNGOP Convention, Dr. Jensen apologized to the delegates for his previous support for gun control and reaffirmed his commitment to signing pro-2nd Amendment legislation if it hit his desk as Governor.

The Caucus has put together an informational website about Dr. Jensen’s record at ScottJensenOnGuns.com which explains his factual record on gun rights in great detail with links to source documents, audio clips, and videos.

“Voters will have to decide whether or not to trust Dr. Jensen with their Second Amendment rights, ” said Strawser.

Our letter to Dr. Jensen informing him of our endorsement decision can be viewed on our website at this link.


I will go on record and say that I will cast my vote for Dr. Jensen and have decided to take him at his word that he will advocate for (and sign into law) legislation for Constitutional Carry as well as Stand Your Ground. Some may call me naïve and I certainly understand given his track record, but I can guarantee you one thing ---- there is a nonzero chance a Gov. Scott Jensen will sign into law pro-gun legislation. However, there is absolutely zero possibility a reelected Gov. Walz would do so. So from that standpoint, my choice is easy. 


Another thing to keep in mind is that even if Walz and Jensen had a similar anti-gun stance, there are a laundry list of other issues which clearly draws the distinction between the two candidates. I obviously can't speak for my fellow members of the MNGOC, but I would suspect they are genuinely concerned about salient issues outside of guns. I know I certainly am, which is why Dr. Jensen has my full support. 

 

-------------------------------------------------

No comments: