Wednesday, September 19, 2018

If you had paid close attention, .....

....this little tidbit shouldn't have come as a huge surprise.

"I always felt that without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were (gay)," Mark Saltzman, who worked for (Sesame Street) for 15 years, told Queerty in an interview. "I didn't have any other way to contextualize them."

Don't believe him? Just check the tape.








OK, the second video is obviously satire, but you get the point.

Granted I had no idea about sexual orientation when I was watching Sesame Street back in the 1970s. However, looking back now, it's definitely not a stretch to see how some writers threw in subtle references which kids of my day would not be able to glean. But the elementary aged kids of the 21st century? Certainly possible.

-----------------------------------------

No comments: