Saturday, December 01, 2018

George H.W. Bush: 1924-2018

Even though I was first eligible to vote in 1988, I voted for Democrat Michael Dukakis over then Vice President of the United States George H. W. Bush (I know. I suck). But as my worldview shifted over the next few years, I realized that my political leanings were right-of-center, so I supported Bush in his failed reelection bid in 1992. It was the first time I ever supported a GOP political candidate.

There's been so much written in the aftermath of his passing, which occurred last evening at the age of 94. So many glowing tributes are out there so definitely check 'em out.

For me, I was always struck by the profound humility shown by Bush 41, a personality trait which, as far as I can tell, was passed on to his children and grandchildren. In fact, one of the more light-hearted moments of the Bush presidency was when Saturday Night Live star (and hilarious Bush impressionist) Dana Carvey was invited to the White House to interact with the president while also imitating him.





Sadly, that kind of humility has been sorely lacking in the White House since Bush's son George W. Bush moved on as its occupant.

From WWII vet....




...to star baseball player at Yale.....




....to devoted family man,....




.....Bush lived an incredibly fulfilling life even if he had never entered the political fray. Well done, good and faithful servant.

------------------------------------------------

No comments: