Friday, June 15, 2007

Sports Einstein of the week: Greg Oden

This was a weekly segment I had planned on starting last month. It occurred to me when NFL running back Clinton Portis made the following comments on QB Michael Vick’s alleged involvement in running a dog fighting ring:


"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis told WAVY-TV in Virginia. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

When told that dog fighting is a felony, Portis replied, "It can't be too bad of a crime."


Obviously, the phrase “Sports Einstein” is meant to be ironic in that some major college and pro athletes aren’t your sharpest individuals.

So this week’s “Sports Einstein of the week” goes to Ohio St basketball player Greg Oden, who is likely to be selected by either Portland or Seattle in the NBA draft this month. Oden was asked what he knew about the Pacific Northwest:


"It's going to be different," he told the Indianapolis Star. "I know it rains a lot. I know it's close to L.A. and I love that. I want to go to L.A. and go to the beach."

Who can blame Oden for being excited about being a mere 964 miles from Los Angeles?
----------------------------------

No comments: